Becoming a Monegasque Resident

Home Informations Becoming a Monegasque Resident


Anyone who is more than 16 years of age and wishes to reside in Monaco for more than three months in a year, must apply for a residence permit issued by the Monégasque authorities, according to the Convention Franco-Monégasque de Voisinage of 18 May 1963 and the Ordinance no. 3.153 of 19 March 1964 pertaining to conditions for entry and residence of foreign nationals in the Principality .


European Economic Area  (EEA) nationals:
An identity card or valid passport is sufficient. No visa is required.


Non-EEA citizens:
Before making any application to the Principality, you must apply for a long-term visa for Monaco, issued by the French authorities. Please note that minors also require a visa.

Contact the French Consulate  in your country of residence. The procedures to follow are different depending on your nationality and the country you live in.


In all cases, you must:

- Prove that you have accommodation in Monaco that is of sufficient size for the household

Consult the: List of agencies that are members of the Chambre Immobilière Monégasque

- Guarantee that you have sufficient financial resources:

  • Have an employment contract, or
  • Be supported by a third party, or
  • Have sufficient savings

- Prove that you are of good character (criminal records information or equivalent)


Obtaining a residence permit

Applications for residence permits are dealt with by the Residents Section  of the Police Department. The application process varies depending on the plans and the background of the applicant.

Click here for details of how to apply for a residence permit.

Please note that residence permits are not issued to minors under the age of 16. However, a Foreign Young Person’s Travel Document  can be issued to enable them to travel abroad.


Source :